[NDNAIM] Activists . . . Endangered Languages

rwd0002 at unt.edu rwd0002 at unt.edu
Sun Jul 6 19:43:58 UTC 2008

(...)
> Bob

The Hebrew revival is indeed very different, we all agree on that.
Hebrew never died out as a religious language nor as a written
language.  However, I think it is a bit of an exaggeration to say that
Modern Hebrew is a relexified Slavic language.  At least one
morphological feature of Modern Hebrew, its typically Semitic
nonconcatenative morphology, is not Slavic and is still productive.
That cannot be explained through relexification of a Slavic language.

The Jewish activists who revived Hebrew were extremely conscious of the
Semitic morphological features of Hebrew, (and heard Arabic, a related
Semitic language, spoken around them), so they did all they could to
make sure Hebrew retained, maybe not a fundamental, but at least an
strong indexical, Semitic character.  Even Yiddish, certainly more
clearly a Slavic language relexified with Germanic than Modern Hebrew
is, retains some uncannily Semitic morphological features.

To reconnect to Siouan, it is an interesting ideological issue,
relevant to all people interested in reviving an extinct language.
Suppose we wanted to revive an extinct Siouan language, in addition to
Siouan lexicon, what sorts of morphological features would we wanna
insist on to convince ourselves this is a genuine Siouan language?
Split intransivity? instrumental prefixes?, locative prefixes?

Willem