Comparative Siouan Grammar project

Prof. Dr. Johannes Helmbrecht johannes.helmbrecht at sprachlit.uni-regensburg.de
Mon Jul 7 08:47:35 UTC 2008

Dear Cathrine, dear Siouanists,

I would like to add a few remarks that may clarify my own position with regard to the invisible things we are
discussing right now. It is a popular misconception to think that typologists don't like abstract structures or
ignore them largely. This is not the case. All depends on the evidence for them. If there is distributional
evidence for a certain structure of a noun phrase then this is a fact of a specific language and no longer
invisible. What typologists do not believe is that these abstract syntactic structures can be presupposed as
the universal framework of the grammar of a specific language. On the contrary, it is one of the goals (in my
view) of such a project to find out for instance the structure of the noun phrase in the individual SLs and
perhaps the variationof these structures among them. The same holds for the relative clause and all the
other parts of syntax.
I would hence strongly agree with Cathrine to aim at a basically descriptive and theory-neutral (as much as
this is possible) treatment of SL in this project. This is of course a bottom-up approach, but not blind for
abstract structures and categories.

All the best,
Johannes