[NDNAIM] Activists . . . Endangered Languages

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Mon Jul 7 09:54:24 UTC 2008

"Even Yiddish, certainly more clearly a Slavic language relexified
with Germanic..."

Whereas I agree with that statement ref. to Hebrew, below, I'd rather
claim that Yiddish is a mediaeval German relexified with Biblical
Hebrew and - of course - Slavic words of different derivations! (Just
one side note: both Yiddish and Transylvanian Saxon, a mediaeval
German dialect, i.e. Mosel-Frankish, use the same everyday-word "keyn/
kein" for German "nach/gegen" - to/toward.)
Of course, characterizations of this kind seem to be quite futile, and
depending on where one puts the point of reference in time (modern
Hebrew is a relexified English... ;-) ).

This here, BTW, is a nice read about stuff like this:

http://www.languagehat.com/archives/003065.php

Alfred

Alfred W. Tüting
ti at fa-kuan.muc.de