[Fwd: Chicago Tribune "On Language" 7/15/08: Gadget helps save ancient tongues]

Bryan James Gordon linguista at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 17:56:13 UTC 2008

Thank heavens Bierma interviewed Hinton for this piece. I question his
motives based on both the title of the piece and his giving Thornton the
last word - a disingenuous last word if you ask me, for two reasons:

1) Does Thornton mean to imply that Hinton is part of the tendency to put of
linguistic fossils on museum shelves? She is most certainly not. If Thornton
doesn't mean that, then Bierma is implying it by his quote placement.

2) The phraselator itself, regardless of Thornton's words to the contrary,
is just a fancy (and expensive) museum fossil. It has nothing to do with
revitalisation as opposed to documentation. It's going to sit on people's
mantles like a linguistic Christmas ornament after there are no speakers
left, and to the extent that its money and effort are diverted from more
productive efforts like the ones Hinton suggests (thanks Bierma for quoting
them), it is complicit in the death of our languages and the languages of
others, and in the false hopes of our communities and the communities we
work with. The phraselator COULD be put to good use, but it will never
produce fluent speakers without the aid of other speakers or at least of
language courses (which are pretty measly at producing fluent speakers,
too). I think my parents' word for this kind of gadget is "snake oil".

- Bryan James Gordon