Fw: Carolyn Quintero

Jimm GoodTracks jgoodtracks at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 11:23:35 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: Jimm GoodTracks
To: siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 10:47 PM
Subject: Re: Carolyn Quintero

We just returned from Grey Horse Iroshka Dances, where an Osage acquaintance said he overheard some Osage elders speaking in Wazhazhi (Osage) that Caroline had died, and that it was a huge loss.  Immediately, I preferred to disbelieve the totally unexpected thought, until I could see something posted on the list.  This evening the list messages have confirm this dreaded report.  Earlier in the day, (Saturday), I had collected several items from the Drum Keepers Committee Feast Saturday at noon, with the thought to give these items to Caroline at the forthcoming Joplin Conference.  These items from the Grey Horse Drum Keeper Committee in part featured the new Osage orthography script.   Now they sit for want of a direction to proceed.

I was among those who became acquainted with Carolyn in the early 1980s in Tulsa, OK when her interest in Osage were sparked by Robert Bristow, likely the most articulate non-professional Osage linguist and speaker at the time, followed by her dedicated work in his memory and that of the various Osage Elders with whom she worked.

It is ironic, it seems to me, that her sudden and unanticipated passing was no less as shocking as Roberts' equally sudden and untimely passing at an early age.  I am uplifted by this shared feeling amongst the whole Siouan list group to honor her in some special way at the conference in Joplin, as well as thoughts to follow through to completion on her Osage Dictionary.

Speaking for myself, I will indeed miss her, our occassions of conversing in Spanish, her encouragements, her support.  Her private conversations and advise continue to fuel my own devotion.  Tonight the light of the Siouan Language communities is less bright in the shadow of her passing and absence from our group.

I just received a note that there are to be services next Saturday morning at the Hominy cemetery.  That is an appropriate weekend as the Hominy Osage Iroshka ceremonial Dances will be motion and where she attended on numerous occasions.  While those unfamiliar with the Iroshka Society, it is a prayer event as well as a social and cultural event.  Doubtlessly she and her immediate family will be apart of all the prayers rendered.

I pray indeed that her work and contributions live on for the highest good of all concerned.
Respectfully,
Jimm GT