Multiple emails and Carolyn Quintero

ROOD DAVID S David.Rood at Colorado.EDU
Mon Jun 9 16:46:55 UTC 2008

I called John Koontz's office this morning and left a voicemail message
for him.  I hope the multiple emails will soon stop.

I have been mulling over what I wanted to say in response to Justin's very
sad news about Carolyn, and I can't figure out how to express myself.
Obviously it was a surprise and a shock to everyone, as well as to me.  I
think Jimm's response is as close to what I would say as anything.  I,
too, met her when she and Robert Bristow were working together on Osage.
She was a student at the Univ. of Massachusetts then, and wanted to write
a grammar of Osage as her dissertation.  But in those days lingusitics
departments of the UMass type were not accepting descriptive
dissertations, so she just stopped trying for a while.  In the mid 1980s I
successfully got a grant for her to continue her Osage work, and that
resulted in the first draft of her grammar, which by then was also
accepted as her dissertation for her PhD degree.  All this time, of
course, we were communicating about both academic and financial issues.  I
found her extremely flexible, but also astute both as a linguist and as a
businesswoman.  She made the grant money go a long way.  Her dedication to
the work, and to preserving Robert Bristow's efforts as well, was
unwavering.  I can only begin to guess how much I'm going to miss her.

David

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado