Saturday Memorial: Carolyn Quintero

Jimm GoodTracks jgoodtracks at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 12:05:22 UTC 2008

Saturday Memorial
Justin McBride Family, Linda Chamberlin (Kaw Nation Language Program) along
with myself and my grandchildren attended Carolyn's Memorial at the Hominy,
OK cemetery on Saturday, June 14th, at  11am.  Under bright sun, and a cool
70s degree, a group of about 25 persons gathered.  A minister spoke a
typical service, then Gordon Leamon, her fiancé spoke.  It was a clarifying
moment for me as I did not know she had a fiancé for ten years, and again,
in respect to the recent duplicate messages from "Gordon", which I could not
comprehend thinking only of the Gordon from the Siouan group list, and the
unlikelihood he spawned the repetitions.

John Red Eagle spoke of her contributions to the Osage Nation Language
Program, followed by his brother who offered a prayer in the Wazhazhi
Language.  There were several other Osage present.  I anticipate that there
will be a forthcoming news article from the Osage, perhaps in their tribal
newspaper.  I later meet one of the Osage Language Program representatives
who will attend the Joplin, MO Siouan Language Conference at MSSU next
weekend.  She mentioned to me that they "would come to listen, and observe,
rather than speak or provide a particular contribution".  It seems that the
majority of Osage are not aware of the pending Osage Dictionary by Oklahoma
University Press, where I am told, it waits to be printed, having completed
all reviews and editing.

A reception luncheon and photo slide show was held at the Quaker Friends
Church in Hominy after the Memorial service.  As the time began to overlap
into the traditional Osage Iroshka activities, I and the several Osage chose
to forego the luncheon and photo presentation to return to Hominy Camp.
However,  I was able to speak with her daughter from San Rafael, CA and her
son Markos of Tulsa who will continue the family business Inter Lingua to
share my personal thoughts and experiences.

For whoever may wish to share personal expressions and thoughts, I include
the children's address and  Emails below.
Anna_Murdick at yahoo.com
Anna Quintero Murdick
28 Main Dr.
San Rafael, CA   94901
language at interlinguainc.com
Markos Quintero
1711 East 15th St.
Tulsa, OK  74104-4608

Until someone who is thoroughly acquainted with Carolyn's accomplishments is
able to write her a tribute for SSILA and other appropriate media, the Tulsa
article will stand her well.  She was a language activist, meaning she
advocated speaking and using language, in lieu, of simply talking about
speaking and using language.  And thus, she did.
jgt