Comparative Siouan Grammar project

Mark J Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jun 17 14:06:01 UTC 2008

Aloha Johannes,
Many thanks for your suggestions about future SACC agendas.
I have offered to host the 2009 gathering here in Lincoln, Nebraska (the
center of it all...or the most distant from anywhere else sort of place).

The Dhegihanists have met here back in 2000 or so.

I will be polling folks at Joplin about their interests regarding the
agenda for 2009.

If there is sufficient interest in organizing a session or three on the
Comparative Siouan Grammar, Lincoln would be a good time to formalize it
and push it forward a bit.

There may be interest in organizing a session geared towards language
instructors from on- and off-rez institutions. I would suspect that the
Tribal Colleges in NE, SD, and OK might find this useful. Omaha Nation
Public School (K-12), Walthill Public School, and Winnebago Public School
could find some value in this as well.

Let's put on our thinking caps as we head to Joplin.

iNcHoNxti woNgithe widoNbe ttamiNkHe.
Uthixide

Mark Awakuni-Swetland
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
and Native American Studies
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE 68588-0368

http://omahalanguage.unl.edu
Phone 402-472-3455
FAX: 402-472-9642

"Ttenixa uxpathe egoN" a biama, winisi akHa.

"Prof. Dr. Johannes Helmbrecht"
<johannes.helmbrecht at sprachlit.uni-regensburg.de>
Sent by: owner-siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU
06/17/2008 07:50 AM
Please respond to
siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU

siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Comparative Siouan Grammar project

Dear Siouanists,

I regret very much that I won't be able to attend this year's SCLC in
Joplin,MO in particular because
the program seems to be so interesting. Since I won't be personally there,
I would like to make
some suggestions from the other end of the world for the future
conferences, which may be
discussed during the conference in Joplin.

One of the exciting projects we started in Billings 2006 was the
Comparative Siouan Grammar.
Papers dealing with various aspects of Siouan grammar in a typological and
historical comparative
perspective were presented there. We also compiled a list with additional
topics filling all in all at
least two volumes. Unfortunately, this project came to a halt afterwards
and I would like to give it a
new push. So, my suggestion would be to plan on a follow up workshop on
Siouan Comparative
Grammar for the next year's conference, if this goal is still considered
worthy among the participants
to invest time and research. Could you discuss this question during the
coming days?

For me personally, this implies that I will revise and expand my paper on
applicatives in Siouan. In
addition, I volunteered for the causative constructions (if I recall that
correctly), so I will start to work
on a draft version on this topic that will be presented at the conference
next year.

Another important point for me is: I will be able to come next only, if I
can get funding for an
overseas trip. This is not too difficult to obtain in particular for such
a fascinating project, but I need
the conference details some months in advance in order to be able to apply
for money. Therefore, I
would like to ask you to fix a date and location for the next and if
possible for the conference in two
years so that people from abroad have a chance to get the necessary
funding. John Boyle
mentioned to me that he is going to organize a conference in Chicago in
2010?

Anyway, I think the meeting in Joplin could provide a good opportunity to
talk about the state of the
art with regard to the comparative Siouan Grammar project and to plan on
the next steps.
Personally, I would like to participate in the planning, the organization,
and the research as much as
I can so that this project will come to a succesful end.

So, I wish all of you a wonderful and interesting meeting in Joplin,

Best,
Johannes

--

Prof. Dr. Johannes Helmbrecht
Lehrstuhl für Allgemeine und Vergleichende Sprachwissenschaft

Tel: ++49(0)941 943-3388
        ++49(0)941 943-3387 (Sekretariat)
Fax: ++49(0)941 943-2429
E-Mail:    johannes.helmbrecht at sprachlit.uni-regenburg.de