Comparative Siouan Grammar project

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Jun 24 19:27:23 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues,

Before we get too far along with this project, we might want to set some goals and limits.  "Comparative grammar" is a pretty flexible topic and we might want to try to specify what we mean.  Does this mean "comparative and historical" in the traditional sense?  Or are people thinking more along the lines of synchronic grammars and some sort of typological approach?  Do we intend to limit ourselves to surface grammar (that's certainly what the historical apporoach would require) or should we admit solutions that appeal to invisible/hypothetical superstructure?  It seems to me that these would be vastly different projects appealing to different kinds of evidence and information.  It's probably worth thinking about in advance.

Thanks to a lot of hard work by Jill and Catherine, the meeting in Joplin was a lot of fun and very informative.  I'm looking forward to next year's meeting already.

Bob

________________________________

In Billings, we had a planning session led by Linda Cumberland and John Boyle. On the huge blackboard there we outlined and summarized the topics to be included in the projected three volume opus of a CSG.

According to my notes and recollections, Vol. III contains sketches of the individual Siouan languages following perhaps a common scheme (which does not exist yet, of course)

Vol. I contains investigations to the following topics. I will mention also the names as far as I can remember (I may be wrong, though).

Obliques/ Postpositions (Regina Pustet)
Applicatives (including the benefactive applicative) (Johannes Helmbrecht)
Determiners (?)
Nominal Possession (?)
t-words (Bruce Ingham?)
Prefixes (morphological positions, etc.) (Bob Rankin)
Suffixes/ Enclitics  (Bob Rankin)
Relative Clauses (?)
Switch references and clase chaining (John Boyle)
Pronominals and the stative/active split (Bob Rankin)
Deictic motion verbs (Linda Cumberland)

Vol II contains the following topics:

Plural marking
Compounding
Noun incorporation
Causatives (Helmbrecht)
External Possession
Coordination
Subordination
Instrumentals
Absolutive (wa-)
TAM
Negation
Serial verbs (David Rood ?)

That's what I have in my notes perhaps John or Linda have more in their files.

The topics of the two volumes as given above are unordered and rather a list of key words than a systematically developed structure of such a project. But it was the point where we stopped further planning. It might serve as the starting point for pushing the whole thing further.

As I indicated in my last mail, it would be of some importance for me if I knew the precise date of the next conference in Lincoln. So, perhaps, this could be decided on in Joplin in the coming days.

I wish everyone a wonderful and exciting conference in Joplin,

Best
Johannes