Code talkers.

Tom Leonard tmleonard at cox.net
Thu May 1 17:58:37 UTC 2008

FYI -

Charles Chibitty, the last survivor of 20 Comanche code talkers who used
their native language to transmit messages for the Allies in Europe
during World War II died in July 2005. He was 83.

"/It's strange, but growing up as a child I was forbidden to speak my
native language at school," Chibitty said in 2002. "Later my country
asked me to. My language helped win the war and that makes me very
proud. Very proud./"

I knew Charlie (he lived nearby, here in Tulsa) Forrest Kassanavoid, and
a few of the others. They were ALL great guys...real gentlemen. It was a
honor to know them and to have the opportunity to visit with them.

Some further info here:
http://www.comanchelanguage.org/Comanche%20Code%20Talkers.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_talker