Abstract Deadline Approaching

Jill Greer Greer-J at MSSU.EDU
Thu May 8 16:25:25 UTC 2008

Hello, All!

Just a friendly reminder that Monday is our deadline for submitting your abstract for the rapidly approaching conference (June 20-21) in Joplin!  All are welcome to submit, and the title and topic are not binding -  I simply want to know how many people are planning to present, and how many people plan to attend without actually presenting.  Please consider your contribution to be an invited one (I promise I will give everyone a time slot, even if we have to continue a session at the local pizza parlor!!!)  (And it looks good on a vitae also...)

I have reserved a block of 25 rooms at the Baymont Inn (417.623.0000) under the shortened title Siouan Conference at the rate of $54.95/ night (plus tax of course).  They have free breakfast with that (the self-service type, I believe), and wireless connection, and I think there is an indoor pool as well.
I need to ask everyone to book their rooms very soon, so that they can release any extra rooms by May 15th!!!

I will put a program together by June 1.  At present,  I have the following titles and presenters ( in purely random order)---
                                   A.  General SCLC Session-

Ponca Vowel Length in the Transcriptions of James Owen Dorsey by Robert L. Rankin and Kathleen Shea

Informational Constraints on Syntax in Ponca and Omaha by Bryan James Gordon

A few additional abstracts promised to be forthcoming include -  well, you know who you are :)

                                   B.  Dictionary Roundtable Presenters At Last Date Included these 8:

"Some Remarks on Instrumental Verb Lexemes in a Kansa Dictionary" by Robert L. Rankin
Mark Awakuni-Swetland, Catherine Rudin, Rory Larson  - Omaha-Ponca
Jimm Goodtracks - Ioway-Otoe-Missouria
John Boyle - Hidatsa
David Kaufman - Biloxi
Randy Graczyk - Crow
Iren Hartmann - Hocank
Carolyn Quintero - Osage

I have heard from two additional tribal language educators who plan to attend also, which is exciting.
Because of the tremendous interest in the round-table discussion,  plenty of time will be alloted for that event.  Many thanks to Catherin Rudin for heading up this panel!!!!

I appreciate those of you who have already sent your regrets -  we will miss you.  I look forward to more abstracts pouring in Monday!

Jill