Fw: [Lexicog] Digital Glossarization

Jimm GoodTracks jgoodtracks at gmail.com
Fri May 9 12:14:29 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: Jimm GoodTracks
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 6:29 AM
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Digital Glossarization

George:
I believe that there is value in a "Back of the Book" glossary.  Often a student does not wish to wade through the length of typical dictionary that provides them more information than they wish at the moment.  Electronic dictionaries are available when one is sitting before the computer, and not off to the side in a reading chair.  For the very small child in an immersion setting, the glossary is of little or no value, but indeed it becomes a tool for the older student at any learning level.

The value of an immediate reader glossary, is that it gives one an immediate answer to "What does this word mean".  We just had this discussion this week at the Tribal Office here in Kansas.  And further, it was discussed as to how to present that glossary.  For Native American Languages, the verb complex is the most important and complex element of a sentence unlike English which allows each element of the sentence and words that enhance the main verb to be presented independently.  Certainly a reader can be written in the most simplest format, which involves no prefixes, suffixes, infixes, conjugations, nor additional grammatical elements to be added on to the verb in a Native American sentence.  In this case, the reader would only be able to speak in the 3rd person singular, namely:  He/ she/ it.  In other words, the verb is stripped to its core meaning, which even then, may or may not be a bare root meaning separate from a prefix of instrumentality, that is, a prefix that indicates how an action (of the root word) is performed or caused (by hand, foot, machine, heat, an instrument, etc.).

When other voices are introduced, namely --  I, you, we, they and dual or plural elements  -- the verb complex begins to build via prefixes and suffixes which have no meaning when detached apart from the verb.  In addition, direct and indirect discourse, prepositional elements, probability and more can all factor in.  And to this end, the literal translation provided in a more layman's terms rather than a professional linguistic rendition seems to be the most helpful to the language student.

I will not have time to review your material, as at the moment I am full time on the providing a revision of our Baxoje Jiwere Dictionary into an unabridged edition, as well as providing the translation of a sixty minute Film.  It is for the sake of time, that I have not supplied examples of my discussion above.  However, I have written today to support your effort and work, which in my opinion has value and probable applications for other Native American Language communities and even for our work here, when I am able to focus fully on the literature and teaching materials phase.

Further, be aware that I did not note any flaws with your English below, as there was nothing unique to suggest that you are of an ESL student background.

Sincerely,
Jimm Goodtracks
Baxoje Jiwere Language Project
Lawrence, Kansas