Comparative Siouan Grammar workshop

rwd0002 at unt.edu rwd0002 at unt.edu
Tue Sep 23 22:14:56 UTC 2008

Thanks Bob for interesting comments.  I would be happy to write a short
piece on noun incorporation across Siouan, as indicated in the
schedule.  I pretty much have all I need for Dakotan and for Crow
(thanks to Randy's superb grammar), but if people could send me info
about the other languages/subdivisions, that would be helpful.

I agree that phonetic obstruents as phonological sonorants is very
interesting theoretically. There are nice parallels in Athabascan.
What is reconstructed as Proto-Ath *w comes out as [w], or [m], but in
some languages as voiced obstruent [b], functioning as a sonorant.

Best to all,

Willem