Comparative Siouan Grammar workshop

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Sep 23 23:36:02 UTC 2008

Bryan wrote:
> Let's not forget that /w/ in both Japanese and O'odham surfaces as a
bilabial fricative in certain contexts [ΙΈ]. I believe that in both
languages the /w/ is produced with tensed rather than rounded lips, and
has a much lesser velar component than in English.

I can partially vouch for that in Japanese.  I noticed the tense rather
than rounded quality of /w/ in the first semester from the teacher's
pronunciation, as well as the lack of a real [u] sound; the Japanese /u/
comes out more like the sound in "book" than in "boot".  Except for /o/,
they don't seem to round their lips.  On the other hand, I have also read
somewhere that this is characteristic of the Tokyo dialect, so it might
not apply to Japanese or Japonic in general.

The Japanese syllabaries are defective in the /w-/ set, having only /wa/
and sometimes /wo/, which latter seems to exist only as the object marker
and is usually pronounced as a strong o.  The bilabial fricative is
perhaps the ancestor of the /h-/ series, which surfaces as /b-/ and /p-/,
as well as /h-/ for /ha/, /he/ and /ho/, a voiceless velar fricative for
/hi/, a voiceless bilabial fricative for /hu/, and an alternate wa for
/ha/ when used as the topic marker.  It looks like lips and velum may both
have been used for this originally.

Rory