2009 SACL Conference

Mark J Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Sep 25 18:26:01 UTC 2008

Hello All,

I am seeking input from previous SACL Conference organizers.

Previously circulated information: Conference dates are set for June
11-14, 2009 at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

The Comparative Siouan Grammar Workshop is scheduled for Thursday-Friday,
June 11-12. Johann and John are  organizing the sessions, etc. Catherine
has offered to help co-ordinate things.

The General Papers Sessions are scheduled for Saturday-Sunday, June 13-14.
Saturday afternoon is held open for a native language instruction focus,
with invitations planned to being sent to the 4 Nebraska tribes (and
others?) to participate. I will organize these sessions.

I am wanting to jump early on the budget and logistical issues.

>>From my limited experiences with prior SACC and Dhegiha meetings I recall
that folks fairly well cover their own expenses for travel, room, & board.

Conference registration fees are minimal, and generally cover session
break "munchies".

Conference attendance (presenters and audience) does not exceed 50.

Technology needs range from whiteboard/pens, through overhead projectors,
to PowerPoint-capable computers and projectors.

Access to photocopiers, email, and internet are desirable, and local
eateries should be close at hand.

For 2009:

I would like to be able to provide some level of fuel, lodging, and/or
honorariums for tribal educators planning to present on Saturday, with an
expectation of their coming in to town Friday night, and/or staying over
Saturday night.

I would like to commission the local Lincoln Indian Club, an intertribal
social group, to cook a Saturday evening meal and host a hand game at the
nearby Lincoln Indian Center.

I would like to plan for an off-campus dinner at some restaurant on
Wednesday evening for early-bird arrivals.

I plan to check into reserving a block of rooms for the conference at the
downtown Holiday Inn. The University routinely uses this hotel.

I plan to check on availability of campus dormitory rooms, although there
is much competition with summer "camps" using those facilities.

I expect any funding will have to come piece-meal from various
departments, academic programs, the College of Arts and Sciences, the
Lincoln Indian Center,... and perhaps the Office of the Vice Chancellor of
Research.

I would anticipate we will meet in conference rooms in the Student Union.
They are set up with all of the technology. I believe they require we use
their catering service for beverages/munchies.

I would invite the UNL anthropology student organization to assist in the
ground work during the conference.

I would like to organize a brief visit to the UNL Center for Digital
Research in the Humanities at Love Library to meet the staff and look over
the Omaha and Ponca Digital Dictionary project that would be ending its
first year.

Can you all tell me what have been your experiences in terms of
accommodations and actual expenses in past conferences?

Am I overlooking something(s) vital?

It would be swell if you could collect your thoughts and let me know in
the next few days.

Many thanks,
Uthixide

Mark Awakuni-Swetland
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
and Native American Studies
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE 68588-0368

http://omahalanguage.unl.edu
Phone 402-472-3455
FAX: 402-472-9642

"Ttenixa uxpathe egoN" a biama, winisi akHa.