Siouan positional verbs

Dan Folkus dan.folkus at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 01:15:41 UTC 2009

Oh. But one more thing... Wittgenstein held that meaning is all tied up in
what people actually DO with the words. So, for example, if the terms made a
difference in how the speaker went about, say, searching for the river, or
the lake, then the meaning is different. Otherwise, he wouldn't say it
mattered much, I'm guessing. But now I truly shall try really hard to be
quiet now...
On 12/13/09, Dan Folkus <dan.folkus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to bother you, David. Your various trajectories for specific
> ethnographic research should remain unbounded by my more generalized take.
> I'm a Wittgensteinian guy really, meaning *ordinary language* philosophy.
> Ludwig used English and German. The sad thing is if the terms 'sit' and
> 'lie', as I interpret them, don't make ANY sense to you. I must be out of my
> depth. I'll just listen then...
>
> On 12/12/09, David Kaufman <dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Sorry, Dan, but I'm afraid I don't follow what you're saying.  Can you
>> elaborate?
>>
>> As a follow-up to my first email, I wanted to pass along a message I
>> received from a fellow anthro grad student whose grandfather lived in SE
>> Kansas for 95 years, though he was born in Italy:
>>
>> "My Italian grandfather would say a field lies and a boundary-less piece
>> of land sits, and the ocean sits and the rivers lie."
>>
>> While this may seem like an unlikely source of support for this argument,
>> we suspect that his grandfather talked to indigenous peoples perhaps from
>> the Oklahoma nations, which, particularly if these were Siouan and/or
>> Muskogean, would make sense.
>>
>> Dave

>>> (river/field/lake?).  While it seems intuitive to think of a river as