wa- as indefinite-plural-human

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Dec 8 18:50:41 UTC 2009

Hmmmmm, I somehow came away from John's paper at SACC believing that his point was that waa- *is* a valence reducer and that there is a conspicuous lack of convincing examples of the prefix used as a genuine argument.  There have been many examples given on this list of instances in which waa- could be interpreted either way, but few to none in which it *had* to be interpreted as a plural argument.  Maybe I'm just getting old and missed the bus on John's conclusion?  It's also the case that sometimes the definition of what constitutes an "argument" of the verb can be theory-dependent, but I still thought I understood his point as being counter-argument, at least with regard to Hidatsa.

The fact that so very many of the examples of this phenomenon can be interpreted either way, especially in English translation where the object pronoun analysis is often forced by English structure (or by bilingual speakers), makes the waa- construction a perfect candidate for diachronic reinterpretation however.  So it doesn't surprise me that some speakers would begin using waa- as a plural obj. pronoun.  This fits well with Catherine's analysis, and I expect she's right.

So, John, did I nod off at a critical point in your paper??

Bob