ega ⁿ compounds in Omaha and Ponca

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Jul 9 19:04:43 UTC 2009

Hi Bryan,

A few years ago, we did a project with our second year Omaha students to
analyze Dorsey texts and make a running glossary/dictionary from them.  I
think we got through about the first ten chapters before the class ended
or somebody said "Enough!"  Here's what I have in my side file for gaN. (r
= ledh; c = esh; q = voiceless velar fricative; E = e-breve; ' = accent; ?
= glottal stop)

  gaN                and; so

  e'gaN              so; like that; thus

  akHe'gaN           he was like (a tempter)
  ame'gaN            something like them (we's?a kHE ame'gaN - a snake or
something)

  egaN'              the aforementioned having happened, ...

  egaN'              DO (cut it up)!  Urgent, but polite, command adverb.

  e'degaN            but

  re'gaN             thus

  caN gaN            for no special reason

  caNqti gaN'        just as it happened

I'm sure that barely scratches the surface, but it suggests a little of
the range.

Rory

Bryan James Gordon <linguista at gmail.com>
Sent by: owner-siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU
07/09/2009 01:34 PM
Please respond to
siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU

siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU
cc

Subject
egaⁿ compounds in Omaha and Ponca

Howdy all, especially Dhegihanists!

Has anyone ever compiled a list of all the various uses of the e+gaⁿ
morphemes together in Ponca or Omaha (or any other Dhegiha language)? As
we all know, this combination occurs in conjunctions, adverbs, referential
pronominal-thingies and verbs of various predicative and quotative sorts,
and there is debate as to whether gaⁿ is a single morpheme given nifty
collocations like ðégimaⁿ "I do thus". Anyone got a list as a starting
point for further investigation?

Bryan James Gordon, MA
Joint PhD Program in Linguistics and Anthropology
University of Arizona