Lakota help?

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 20:15:22 UTC 2009

Hi all,

A friend of mine just sent me a phrase she got out of a magazine supposedly in Lakota: Doska Ake Waunkte, for goodbye, although she says it actually translates to: "I will see you again on earth or in the spirit world".  I'm interested in the word Waunkte, which I could not find either in my Dakota dictionary or in the online AISRI dictionary for Lakota; it looks like it may have something to do with 'spirit'?  I'm thinking this may be cognate with Biloxi maNkde, as in Kuti MaNkde 'god' - 'Spirit Above' ?  Anyone have a translation for Lakota 'waunkte' that may prove or disprove this theory?

Dave