2009 SACC inquiry

Prof. Dr. Johannes Helmbrecht johannes.helmbrecht at sprachlit.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Mar 10 09:26:13 UTC 2009

Hi Catherine,

some years ago, I gave a talk at the University of Erfurt on "Coodination in Hocank" (2004) summarizing
what I knew at that time on this topic in Hocank. The data for this paper are alomst exclusivly elicited
material. As a notional and conceptual framework, I used the lengthy and typologically oriented article by
J.R. Payne in one of the three volumes "Language Typology and syntactic description" edited by Timothy
Shopen (1985).

I attach this paper/talk to this mail and hope it might be helpful for your study on coordination in Siouan. This
paper will be part of a future grammar of Hocank, but I am quite sure that I will have to revise it for several
reasons. First, there are some recent publications on coordination (Haspelmath (ed.) and Haspelmath 2007
in the 2nd edition of the Shopen volumes) which I will have to consider. But, more importantly, I haven't
studies the phenomenon on the basis of all the Hocank texts we have by now available in electronic form.

All the best
Johannes

---------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht / Original message ----------