Siouan evidentiality

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Mar 18 17:03:33 UTC 2009

Thanks for the addition, Justin!  So to pull Kaw and Omaha/Ponca together
comparatively:

OP tHe and Kaw c^He are presumably the same word, and are used similarly.
I suppose this means in the evidential sense, correct?  Any trace of
perfective use?

The Kaw declaratives ao and (y)e would surely correspond to OP ha-u and
he.  In the 19th century, the u that frequently followed male ha in OP was
still a separate particle.  It apparently functioned as a "Hey, you!"
attention getter when calling to somebody.  Only males were rude enough to
do this, so it stuck to the ha as a male emphatic.  If you already had
someone's attention, you could just use plain ha.  In 20th century Omaha,
ha-u, usually written as ho, is still used.  It's not an obligatory
declarative ending, but conveys manly emphaticness and seems to be
appreciated like a firm handshake.  /o/ => /u/ in OP, so the
attention-getting particle is old in Dhegihan, and was originally o as in
Kaw.  The original system would be:

a - men's emphatic/declarative => OP ha
e - women's emphatic/declarative => OP he, Kaw (y)e
o - attention getting particle, used only by men, and often attached to
male a as a-o => Kaw ao/o, OP hau/ho

Do you ever have anything like i or bi before ao/o?  What about the
circumstances for the sometimes-y in front of the female particle?  Is
that conditioned by a preceding front vowel, or could it be a Kaw version
of the OP i particle?

I can't think of anything like skaN e in OP, but that seems to ring a bell
for the 'hearsay' final in some other MVS language I've looked at in the
past, either Dakotan or Winnebago-Chiwere or both.  I suspect that is the
original, which has somehow been replaced by ama/biama in OP.

Rory