Siouan evidentiality

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 17:41:05 UTC 2009

Thank you, everyone, for the feedback.

Of course Biloxi also has the gender-specific declaratives na (male) and ni (female) - although their use was apparently not obligatory by the time of Dorsey's data gathering.  I hadn't thought of these as being 'evidential' per se, although I'm sure their use or lack thereof may have had some discourse significance.  Also, I should include the narrative-terminating 'etuxa' (meaning something like "they say it always") among the Biloxi evidentials - a way of saying the story has been passed down from prior generations and is not original to the current storyteller.

Dave