FW: a strange query -- off topic.

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Nov 4 18:39:19 UTC 2009

Nice, David!

My copy is handy, and it's actually under 'walkingstick (insect)' on the
English side.  On the Osage side we have:

ttse' ho-wa-iN-ge, walking stick (bug);
      ttse, buffalo; ho-wa-iN-ge, where are they.
      When a child catches a walking stick it squeezes
        it between his fingers and asks, "Where are the
      buffalo?"  Then the little bug will point straight
        ahead, to the right or to the left, and thus the
      child gets the answer to his question.

Hope this is a help to computer science.

Rory

ROOD DAVID S <David.Rood at Colorado.EDU>
Sent by: owner-siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU
11/04/2009 10:50 AM
Please respond to
siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU

siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: FW: a strange query -- off topic.

One of my students, Chuck Thode, tells me that the word for 'walking
stick' in the LaFlesche Osage dictionary means something like 'where did
the buffalo go' (so look under the English word 'buffalo').  Apparently
there is a description there of how the walking stick told the hunters
which way to go.  My copy of the LaFlesche dictionary is not handy at the
moment, so someone else should verify this.

Bob, you'll have to forward this to Sally.

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado
295 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0295
USA
rood at colorado.edu

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Rankin, Robert L wrote:

> I had this query from Sally Thomason, who works with Salish-speaking
people in Montana.    Has anyone heard anything like her beetle account
from plains tribes?

> It sounds to me a bit like some of our local farmers who say you can
tell how cold it will be in the coming Winter by seeing how thick the coat
is on fuzzy caterpillars.