SHTUBA inquiry

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Sep 10 14:13:09 UTC 2009

I think we may have found it.  Our speaker, who originally didn't
recognize the word, consulted with her sister and came up with the word
ishtuba, 'grandchild'.  Then she checked with her brother, who corrected
her pronunciation to ishtuppa.  At this point I looked up the word for
'grandchild', and found ittushpa.  So it looks like this is probably one
of those consonant cluster dyslexia things they do with a few words, like
bruga / gruba for 'all', and wabagreze / wabragase / wagrabase for 'paper'
or 'book'.  I don't know how ancient or widespread this ittushpa /
ishtuba~ishtuppa doublet may be, but the fact that one speaker used it and
two others recognized it seems to give it some credibility.

Rory

"Rankin, Robert L" <rankin at ku.edu>
Sent by: owner-siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU
09/09/2009 10:23 PM
Please respond to
siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU

<siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU>
cc

Subject
RE: SHTUBA inquiry

I can't find any similar form in either Quapaw or Kansa.  I take it that
it's not in the Dorsey files.  Even so, the word, pronounced shtobe by me,
somehow rings a bell.  I haven't the faintest idea why, so maybe it's a
phantasm of my aging brain.  I certainly don't associate it with
'brother'.

Bob