SHTUBA inquiry

jmcbride at kawnation.com jmcbride at kawnation.com
Thu Sep 10 18:40:01 UTC 2009

Rory,

I very much doubt it's related, but there is a Kaw personal name
is^toppasabe, a male name of the Coon Clan (or ibac^he nikkas^iNga,
'lights the pipes people'), which Dorsey translates as "Black Stripe
over the Eyes (refers to the hair on the forehead of a raccoon)." I
might be wrong, but I assume that it's probably is^ta (eye) o- + ppa
(on the nose/forehead?) sabe (black).  Nevertheless, I'm often
reminded of how the language of Siouan names doesn't always seem to
line up 1:1 with the language of everyday communication (especially
with respect to stress placement, word choice for items, etc.). So, I
suppose it's possible that is^toppa could come to be seen as a single
lexical unit modified by sabe, although there's no evidence that this
occurred in Kaw. However, if the Omahas have a cognate name, and if a
similar lexical process occurred, it is at least imaginable that
is^tuppa could have been inducted into the lexicon at least for some
speakers. I don't think that's what's happening here necessarily, but
I guess it's a possibility.

-Justin