SHTUBA inquiry

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sat Sep 19 00:01:45 UTC 2009

Hi Justin,

That's interesting, and I guess that is another way the term could have
come about.

I'm having a little trouble with the etymology of it though.  I'm sure
you're right that the first part is is^ta, 'eye', + o-, 'in'/'on'.  But
wouldn't the next element be a verb?  Semantically, 'eye-on-nose' seems a
little odd anyway.  Is there anything else o-ppa could mean?  I would
expect something like 'masked', or 'colored', or 'surrounded'.

Best,
Rory