SCLC CONFERENCE

Jimm GoodTracks jgoodtracks at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 11:46:31 UTC 2010

I realize it is still early with 41days left to June 1st (6 weeks), which allows for additional conference presentations to be scheduled; and, we know that Wednesday thru Friday is primarily focused on the formal comparative Siouan grammar work and discussions.  What however, is scheduled "officially" for the Saturday-Sunday presentations - the community applied linguistics portion?  I am sure there will be an informal, community by community, summary of activities, but what has been scheduled for the actual presentations?

My reason for asking is in regard to a car load of young Natives leaving from here at White Cloud for the conference and prior to the community language presentations on Saturday-Sunday, will make some educational tours of museums in Chicago, Milwaukee, a meeting with anthropologist, Nancy Lurie, then on to Oneida and to locate Máyan Shuje near Green Bay, WS, which is the traditional origin place of what became the Hochank (Winnebago), Ioway, and the Otoe-Missouria.

The group will meet me in Chicago afternoon, as I will travel separately on Monday & Tuesday (5/31 & 6/01),  first from White Cloud to Lincoln, NE, and then ride with Mark Swetland (Omaha Language & Native American Studies) to Chicago.  It is hoped that an early arrival will allow sufficient time to meet the group and visit the Museum of Chicago, southern Plains exhibits.   Then on Wednesday, I will accompany the group to visit the Ioway Exhibits at the Milwaukee Museum and meet with Nancy Laurie, former Curator of the MM, before proceeding to Oneida for the evening.  Thursday will be devoted to locating the historical traditional site of Mayan Shuje  after which I and the group will return back to University of Chicago, Dept. Linguistics on 5500 N. St.Louis Ave. to take in the presentations from the various language communities.

As such, it would be helpful to have some idea of the conference agenda to assist in coordinating with this group of young people, who represent the future potential of their Native Commuity.

Jimm G. Goodtracks
Báxoje Jiwére Language Program
POBox 122
White Cloud, Kansas 66094