LSA resolution on language documentation.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Apr 27 19:21:40 UTC 2010

Those of you who are members of LSA might want to make a special effort to vote in the referendum on the resolution passed at last January's annual meeting.  This is especially true if you intend to write a dissertation on an endangered language or if you are a junior faculty member up for promotion/tenure at an American university.

"Resolution Recognizing the Scholarly Merit of Language Documentation," puts the LSA on record as supporting the recognition of work in language documentation as a scholarly contribution to be given weight in the awarding of advanced degrees and in decisions on hiring, tenure, and promotion of faculty.

 Apparently some members of LSA objected to the idea enough to require a written ballot.  I don't know who would feel that strongly about a motion that was passed at the meeting, but I do recall all the problems Carolyn Quintero had convincing her department that a grammar of Osage would make an acceptable dissertation.