JOD cognate abbreviations inquiry

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Wed Feb 3 01:53:43 UTC 2010

Rory's right.  In various publications Dorsey refers to the Winnebago as "Hotcangara".  The -ra is an article and the stem-final -a reappears when you add a suffix or enclitic.  I don't remember whether he also uses "Winnebago" and all my Dorsey papers are out in the garage and it's too cold to go digging for them.  Dorsey also uses H. for "Hale (,Horatio)" in his Tutelo stuff along with Hw. "Hewitt, JNB" and others.  Places where JOD fills in words beside his W. and H. abbreviations will tell the tale.

And if you've ever tasted the water in eastern Wisconsin you know why it got its unflattering name.  It's permeated with iron sulfide.  My wife grew up in Waukesha, so I've had plenty of chances to buy bottled water there.

Bob