Off topic: RE Iroquoian 'corn'

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 04:26:50 UTC 2010

Bob,

I think the 'x' represents 'sh' ('shilo'), as it did in old Spanish.  I'm told that Floyd Lounsbury apparently thought Cherokee 'selu' was from this Uto-Aztecan word.  But, if that's the case, how the heck did Cherokee get it from Uto-Aztecan?  It would make more sense if some other SE languages had this borrowing, but, as far as I know, none do.  So it seems to be a strange isolated case.

Dave