Off topic: RE Iroquoian 'corn'

Anthony Grant Granta at edgehill.ac.uk
Wed Feb 3 20:11:14 UTC 2010

Well, dashkat 'bread' in Caddo is from Nahuatl tlaxkatl (or taxkat in some forms), and kwasu 'cloth, clothes' in Karankawa is U-A - maybe Comanche, maybe Nahuatl.

Anthony

>>> Wallace Chafe <chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu> 03/02/2010 19:50 >>>
The Caddo word for "doctor" is kunah. I've never gone very far in tracking
it down, but I've always understood that it was borrowed from further
south, whether from Uto-Aztecan or some other source I can't say. Aren't
there a great many cultural items throughout the Southeast that diffused
northward from Meso-America? I don't find it at all surprising that
Cherokee for "corn" should have such an origin.

Wally

--On Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:26 PM -0800 David Kaufman
<dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Bob,
>
> I think the 'x' represents 'sh' ('shilo'), as it did in old Spanish.  I'm
> told that Floyd Lounsbury apparently thought Cherokee 'selu' was from
> this Uto-Aztecan word.  But, if that's the case, how the heck did
> Cherokee get it from Uto-Aztecan?  It would make more sense if some other
> SE languages had this borrowing, but, as far as I know, none do.  So it
> seems to be a strange isolated case.
>
> Dave

Edge Hill University 1885 - 2010 Shaping Futures for 125 Years Join the celebrations -
http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/125
Top 10 UK University - http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/about/future/uktopten

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Edge Hill University or associated companies.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible and delete it and all copies of it.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

The message content of in-coming emails is automatically scanned to identify Spam and viruses otherwise Edge Hill University do not actively monitor content.  However, sometimes it will be necessary for Edge Hill University to access business communications during staff absence.

Edge Hill University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.  However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Edge Hill University for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.