Question About A Word

Marianne Mithun mithun at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Sat Jan 16 20:20:22 UTC 2010

Dear Scott,

It's unlikely that they have much in common. Tionontati is a completely
transparent Iroquoian name:

   T-io-nont-(a)-ti
   CISLOCATIVE-NEUTER-mountain-(linker)-be.on.the.other.side.of
   '(it) is beyond the mountain(s)'

This verb root is the same as that in Schenectady, but there the
incorporated noun is   -hneht- 'pine'.

Hard to say exactly what your second name is. There are various
possibilities, but if it is Iroquoian, the key parts, the roots, are
different.

Marianne Mithun

--On Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:13 PM -0800 Scott Collins