telicity marking in Siouan and Caddoan

ROOD DAVID S David.Rood at Colorado.EDU
Mon Jul 12 00:26:51 UTC 2010

Quite a few years ago Geraldine Legendre and I published a paper in the
Berkeley Linguistic Society proceedings which dealt primarily with
argument marking and the active/stative verb distinction in Lakota.  We
had a few things to say about telicity there, but that was so long ago I
don't remember the details.  I'll try to remember to supply the reference
and summarize the relevant points when I get to the office again in the
middle of this coming week.  What I recall is that we were able to force
the speaker to make a distinction between "for" and "in" adverbials, but
it was extremely forced -- one of them requred a 5-syllable adverb, an
extremely long word for a function word in this language.
 	Lakota matches the pattern that Bryan described pretty well, in
that aspect is marked by verbal enclitics, along with several dozen other
categories like evidential, speaker confidence, politeness, negation of
various sorts, speech-act category, and so on.  The simple verb has no
marking for aspect, though of course there are semantic classes.  The
primary verbal inflection is neither tense nor aspect, but
realis/irrealis.  So-called "stative" verbs are not always stative, they
simply show a relative lack of control by their argument(s).
 	A couple of my students have been working on a correlation between
inherent (semantic) aspect and the use of some of the enclitics; I'll see
if they have anything ready to make public.

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado
295 UCB