School: ttappuska

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Jul 23 17:37:42 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I've been looking at the Omaha term ttappuska, presently meaning 'school',
but apparently meaning 'schoolteacher' in the 19th century.  It also
appears in Osage, in both the La Flesche dictionary and in Carolyn
Quintero's recent "Osage Dictionary", where it is listed as taapo'ska.  I
think is nicely analyzable in Dhegiha, but Carolyn's entry has the
bracketted note:

  [Borrowed from Pawnee taapuska 'school' (Douglas Parks).
   The Pawnee word may have entered Osage at different times
   in different forms, with or without preaspiration of the
   stops (h)t and (h)p and with a long or short vowel aa
   or a; it is losing or has lost the preaspiration in
   (h)t and (h)p.]

This claims that the term is actually a loan from Pawnee.  I'm wondering
if Douglas Parks is on the list, or if anyone knows how to get in touch
with him, or if anyone else on the list knows Pawnee well enough to
comment?  Is the word analyzable in Pawnee, and if so, what is the
meaning?

Also, I'd like to know how widespread the term is.  Does it exist in Kaw?
Iowa-Oto?  Ponka?  Any other language?

Thanks for any advice!

Rory