Sorry. My private email went to the list.

Demallie Jr, Raymond J. demallie at indiana.edu
Thu Jul 29 21:35:04 UTC 2010

Dear Siouanists,

Bob's inadvertent dissemination of a private e-mail to Wally Chafe reflects on the situation at Indiana University in two ways that require clarification, since both are misconceptions.

The first is the assertion that we have discouraged our students from attending the Siouan Conferences.  It is simply untrue.  For a long period Linda Cumberland was the only student here whose interests led her to attend. She did so and now, as a Ph.D., Linda has become a regular attendee.  Doug has not attended because of scheduling conflicts or other commitments, but he has never suggested to a graduate student here that he or she NOT attend.

The second involves Hidatsa linguistic material.  Following up on the Indiana University tradition of study of Hidatsa begun by Carl Voegelin and continued by his student Florence Robinett (later Voegelin), when Indrek Park was looking for a language to study for his dissertation we recommended Hidatsa.  Wes Jones, who worked on Hidatsa under Doug Parks' auspices at Mary College in the 1970s, asked Doug to archive his Hidatsa files at IU, together with the materials loaned him by Flo Voegelin.  Those materials are now archived at the American Indian Studies Research Institute in Bloomington.  When John Boyle, who began studying Hidatsa several years ago, asked to copy the material for his own work he was invited to do so.  He came to the Bloomington, where he spent three days with full 24-hour access to all the Hidatsa manuscripts at AISRI.  I have no idea who started the rumor that John was denied access to these materials.

John---I would appreciate it if you would send a note to the list confirming that you were offered full and unrestricted access to Wes's Hidatsa materials here.  Certainly, Amy Dahlstrom is fully aware of the hospitality you were accorded and can attest to that.

We will doubtless all be careful for a while to check the address to which we send our messages.

Ray DeMallie
American Indian Studies Research Institute
Indiana University