ELAN language archiving technology

ROOD DAVID S David.Rood at Colorado.EDU
Wed Mar 3 21:47:04 UTC 2010

Mark, I have been using ELAN since it was first introduced in a very
experimental form in the DOBES program in 2000.  It is being steadily
improved.  I have had no complaints since they fixed some of the really
horrid bugs from the early versions.  I am using it only for annotating
Wichita videos, though I have also put one Lakota audio text into it in a
preliminary way.  We're using it for the Lakota videos in my current
project, too.

You can set up an unlimited number of tiers for different kinds of
information about the data.  In the Wichita, I use tiers for individual
speakers, Wichita transcription, morphological analysis, glosses, grammar
coding, and comments (some tapes require different things, depending on
what's on them).  In the Lakota we're using one tier for an "underlying"
transcripton and another for phonetic (fast speech) deviations.

I don't know what other similar programs are out there, but for aligning
video, audio, and transcription, I think ELAN is great.  For precise
phonetic analysis, however, I go elsewhere (Praat, Sound Forge).  I
haven't used this as a database, i.e. I don't know much about the search
functions, but I did get a very nice printout of a Lakota text formatted
exactly the way I wanted to display it for classroom use.  Keep in mind
that I am probably the most computer illiterate Siouanist on the list --
if I can figure it out, I think anyone else can, too.

I haven't seen any more "labor intensive" phenomenon than would be needed
for any other program.  If you don't have anything in writing, you have to
write it somewhere at least once, and putting it into ELAN is no worse
than anything else.

There is one counter-intuitive feature that bothers me.  To save whatever
you have just typed, you need to hit "control enter" -- otherwise your
typing disappears.  A few experiences with that problem are enough to
inspire learning to do it right, however.

Best,
 	David

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics