Dakota cognate??

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Mon Mar 15 20:35:04 UTC 2010

No way.  But I've discovered that what Dorsey has at the bottom of many of his slips are not cognates in our technical sense of the word.  They should probably be called something like "equivalents".  For the other 3 or 4 Dhegiha languages he almost always gives real cognates, and they're usually nearly identical.  Once he gets outside Dhegiha, all bets are off.  He gives a cognate if one was obvious to him, but otherwise he may just give some term with a similar meaning.

Is the O-P form "cuka" that you give here Dorsey's transcription?  In other words, is this [s^uka] or is it [c^uka], with a "ch" sound?  If it's "ch" then I'm wondering what a cognate in the other languages might look like.  "Ch" generally doesn't occur before /u/, so I'm just curious.  Does he give Osage, Kansa or Quapaw cognates for it?

Bob