Dakota cognate??

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Mar 15 21:58:38 UTC 2010

Bob - Yes, it's s^ukka.  You should be able to see the slip via the link
Catherine included.

I just looked up optaye in Riggs.  It's the Dakota word for a flock of
birds, a herd of animals, or a company of people.  Dorsey has included it
here because it matches the Omaha word in meaning, not because it is
cognate.

Justin - Omaha has the word s^uga meaning 'thick' too.  That would be
cognate to your s^óga.  Can we make any sense out of those names
translating s^ókka as 'flock'/'herd'/'company'?

Rory

"Justin McBride" <jmcbride at kawnation.com>
Sent by: owner-siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU
03/15/2010 04:05 PM
Please respond to
siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU

<siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU>
cc

Subject
Re: Dakota cognate??

I can't speak for Dakotan, Catherine, but to answer Bob's question, JOD
does
have a few KS entries that may be either cognate or at least somewhat
related. In his personal names slips, he lists the female name Cú-ka mí
[s^ókka miN] and the male name Cu-ká-mi [s^okkámiN], but offers only an
unhelpful translation of the former, 'Cu-ka female.' In his dictionary
slip
file, there's also cú-ga [s^óga], which he defines as 'thick; dense.' I
can't say for sure why KS would voice a stop that OP doesn't, though, so
maybe that last one's not related after all, but the semantics seem to
match
up.

-jtm