sad news

Jimm GoodTracks jgoodtracks at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 18:28:27 UTC 2010

Thanks, Kathy for the information, and moments of your relations and opportunities of interaction.  I know I must have seen Tom, but there apparently were no event for becoming a mutual acquaintance.  jimm

PS:  I am sure you have heard that Tony Arkeketa also passed on this week and services are Thursday, whether it is in Red Rock or White Eagle.  He always retained his connections to his Otoe relatives, and was first married to TeeTee Moore, daughter of Otoe Elder Sidney and Pearl Moore (Pearl was Pawnee).  Tony however was raised on his Ponca side (mother's side) and spoke Ponca and was well versed in the songs of the Ponca (Hethushka, NAC, etc.).   He was plagued by diabetes, and had some toes amputated.  He shared with me that he was despondent that Oklahoma IHS would not provide any genuine treatment (a common community complaint) for his condition, so on his own, he procured treatment in that city above Macey & Winnebago, NE, I believe it is called Sioux City, NE.  It definitely was in NE, I'm certain.  He continued his interest in Otoe Iroshka and MC'd each December in Red Rock, along with Frank Carson.  I attended a Sweat Purification Lodge in Red Rock last year in which he lead the prayer and the singing, backed by one of his daughters.  But during the half way break, he was obliged to sit outside, being exhausted.

He was working on Ponca language to provide learning materials for his grandchildren, but had until lately frequently consulted with me on Otoe-Missouria.  Several years ago, we both were requested to share the directorship of an Ioway Language program (Perkins, OK) got into the administration of it, and it got derailed and convoluted.  It was discouraging.  With his passing, and those in January and February, I am unable to entertain anything hopeful for a cultural / language resurgence  among the three communities.  I believe that my work is simply to provide documentation of the language, however, I will continue to develop materials for my grandson for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again for the information.  Perhaps, if I decide to make the seven hour trip to Oklahoma, I'll see you at Tony's service.  The Ponca Hethushka is scheduled for this coming weekend.