ELAN language archiving technology

Mark J Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Mar 3 21:28:34 UTC 2010

http://www.lat-mpi.eu/tools/elan/

Aloha all,

Are any of y'all familiar with ELAN, a language archiving program?

The UNL Center for Digital Research in the Humanities (CDRH) folks are
suggesting I look at it for possible applications to the Omaha database
work in progress.

My CDRH guy give me an initial demo today..

The program requires an operator to insert transcription directly linked
to audio video files.

It is XML based, so supposedly is UNICODE compliant.

It looks like the straight text transcription can have a second line with
parts of speech, and a third line that renders everything in IPA.

I just sent over a short wav file with Omaha elicitation to see how we can
deal with an Omaha orthography.

It is possible to search on text words (presumably Omaha, too, if that
works).

The visual ability with the wav files does make me think that prosody
studies could be done.

Dumping the wav files into Audacity or other software could give you pitch
contours and such, like what Rory Larson has been playing with recently.

Bottom line, It looks really labor intensive up front... but might have
some uses down the road

Ideas?

Thanks
Mark

Mark Awakuni-Swetland, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
and Ethnic Studies (Native American Studies)
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE 68588-0368

http://omahalanguage.unl.edu
http://omahaponca.unl.edu