transcription estimate and best practices inquiry

Catherine Rudin carudin1 at wsc.edu
Thu Mar 25 23:52:17 UTC 2010

Thanks a lot for all your insights, Bob.
I for one can relate all too well to making every fieldwork error in the book.  :-)

All your points are valid -- especially the basic fact that transcription is hard (even for very fluent speakers, and especially for those who aren't).  And I agree that it's important to transcribe speakers' metalinguistic commentary.  I didn't always do it in the past, thinking it would be easy enough to listen back to the tapes for this.  And have I gotten around to every listening???  Guess how often.

Catherine