Kansa, pecan, Arkansas

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 3 17:18:17 UTC 2010

Hello all...

Bob basically has the Algonquian end of this story correct. The term
<acansa> got borrowed into Illinois early on as what appears to be a
cover term for all the Dhegiha tribes. By the mid-19th century, kaansa
is the Miami-Illinois term just for the Kansa tribe, and there are
other terms for the Quapaw, Osage, etc.

And yes, Bob is right, very early on, Illinois acquired a term
essentially meaning 'Kansa/Dhegiha nut' as their word for 'pecan'; in
LeBoullenger's circa-1720 Illinois dictionary, this appears as
<acansipacane>, while Pinet's Illinois dictionary from 20 years before
gives the plural <acansepacana>. By the late 19th century, this
variably appears in Miami and Peoria as kaansa pakaani or
kaanseeseemini. Shawnee has similar kaa0eemi 'pecan' ('0' =  theta),
which was later borrowed by Unami Delaware as ká·se·m (some speakers
changed this to ká·nse·m).

And finally, the Miami-Illinois name for the Ohio River is literally
'the Kansa/Dhegiga River'; the most common variant seen is
kaanseeseepiiwi. Shawnee also has this, as kaa0eewi0iipi.

I've assumed for a long time that what this means is that Miami-
Illinois speakers and Shawnee speakers first encountered Dhegiha-
speakers on the Ohio River, presumably in southern Ohio or maybe
southern Indiana, at a time when they weren't seperated into their
modern divisions yet, and when something sounding like /kaansa/ was
their name for themselves. I also assume this is when the Algonquians
first encountered pecans, or at least when they first encountered them
in big numbers.

Dave