non-siouan inquiry

Catherine Rudin CaRudin1 at wsc.edu
Wed Oct 27 17:02:46 UTC 2010

OK, here's my best shot.

It's not Bulgarian, or at least if it is it's written by someone semi-literate.

It IS, however, a Slavic language, written in Cyrillic alphabet (mostly -- a couple of Roman letters mixed in, specifically one "R", one "S", and one "i", so definitely eastern Europe/Russian empire.  Are the shoes by chance from Alaska??  The Ukrainian version of cyrillic uses an "i".  Maybe this is Ukrainian. Or Russian, written by someone who was bilingual, not terrifically literate and tended to use some Roman letters interchangeably with cyrillic; I know Turks who do this when writing in Bulgarian and I've done it myself in English when going back and forth between writing systems.

In any case, it appears to be two names.  Perhaps the owners of the shoes??

Here's a transliteration:
First line:  OA Evaoriia Uvunova
Second line:  SA Georgiva Vasileva
And the smaller words not in all caps:  edno sjirze sae (or fae???)

I don't know what "OA" and "SA" are.  "Evaoriia Uvunova" and "Georgiva Vasilieva" look like women's names:  feminine patronymic + last name (though Evaoriia is a weird enough name that I wonder if it was mis-copied).  "edno" means "one" or "a", but I don't recognize "sjirze sae".

Catherine

>>> Mark J Awakuni-Swetland <mawakuni-swetland2 at unlnotes.unl.edu> 10/27/2010 11:21 AM >>>
Aloha all,

Knowing that many of the List folkshave expertise in non-Siouan languages, I thought you all might find this of interest.

The Department of Anthropology received the attached letter requesting translation assistance on a paper tag attached to a pair of moccasins/shoes.

I am attaching a pdf of the letter for your consideration.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Awakuni-Swetland, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology
and Ethnic Studies (Native American Studies)
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE 68588-0368

http://omahalanguage.unl.edu ( http://omahalanguage.unl.edu/ )
http://omahaponca.unl.edu ( http://omahaponca.unl.edu/ )