Ocananhowan and Occaneechi

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu Sep 30 20:40:06 UTC 2010

I'd have to agree.  Add to this the fact that many tribal names have no identifiable historical meaning and are "interpreted" locally by folk etymology.  Many of these folk interpretations even become "official".  These include Baxoje 'Ioway' (supposedly meaning an unlikely "dusty noses" or "gray snow", take your pick), Kansa (supposedly meaning 'south wind' -- not), Ponca, Biloxi, Ofo, Otoe (supposedly meaning 'lovers of sexual pleasure'), etc., etc.  Such ethnonyms are very susceptible to folk guesswork; everybody including linguists want names to "mean something", but many are lost in the mists of time.

(Please, no responses explaining to me that such names REALLY DO mean what people say they mean.  I'm aware of all the strong beliefs in this department.)

Wish I could be more optimistic.

Bob