Tutelo-Saponi Adoption String

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Wed Aug 3 22:23:43 UTC 2011

'Orphan' in all the Siouan languages I have dictionaries for is a compound of 'mother' or 'parent' plus the verb 'be none', in otherwords 'no-parents'.  I'd bet that's what it is in Tutelo also.  If you find the term for 'parent' or just 'mother' in Tutelo and follow it with the verb 'be none', you'd have it.