Dakota 'orphan'

Jan Ullrich jfu at lakhota.org
Wed Aug 10 19:52:42 UTC 2011

> The structure of waxpanica 'poor' is apparently analogous to

> that of wablenica 'orphan'.

I agree that re-analyses if often a factor in shifting the affixation spot and that it could be the case in wablenica, just as it obviously is in waxpanicA.

But note that waxpanicA has ablaut, unlike wablenica. This is why I am still a little reserved to the theory that the “nica” component of wablenica comes from the verb “nicA” ‘to lack sth’. Why would it retain ablaut in one compound and not in another. I am not saying it is not possible, but there are lots of ka suffixes (ca when palatilized) that are potential candidates for the wablenica etymology.

> But the position of ma- '1SG.PAT'

> is variable in waxpanica. Although Buechel has ma-waxpanica,

> I have recorded wa-ma-xpanica as well.

Buechel borrowed the 1st singular form from Riggs (see page 502 in the 1992 edition) and as far as I can tell it hasn’t been attested by a native Lakota speaker nor through authentic Lakota texts. It is possible that mawaxpanice is the 1st singular form in the Santee-Sisseton dialect but in Lakota the affix ‑ma- is rarely used in front of the indefinite object marker ‑wa- (I only know a couple of verbs where it is in this position). So until it is attested I consider the form given in Buechel’s dictionary (i.e. mawaxpanice) to be an error, at least for Lakota. There is plenty of evidence that Buechel borrowed an extensive number of inaccuracies and Dakota (i.e. non-Lakota) forms from Riggs and this is likely one of them.

Authentic texts (including texts from the Buechel collection) give the form wamaxpanice. This form is also given in the grammar by Boas & Deloria.

Jan