Omaha and Lakota Words

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Mon Aug 22 22:05:07 UTC 2011

I can't contribute much to this discussion, but there are a couple of things that can be said.

1. wiN is the first syllable of the common Siouan term for 'woman'. wiN and min ~ mi are cognates.

2. wiN (miN ~ mi) is also the reconstructible term for 'orb' and is the basis for the terms for both 'sun' and 'moon'.  Dakotan wi is very irregular.  The word has nasalization in every other Siouan language for which nasality is phonemic.  Dakotan 'star', wichaxpe is similarly irregular; cf. Kansa mikkak?e.

3. The Kansa term is miixoge.  'Badger' is xoNga, so that is quite different.

4. The Common Siouan 'potential, irrealis', kte, has its source in the Proto-Siouan word for 'to want'.  It retains that meaning in Biloxi, Crow and some other languages.  'Want' is grammaticalized as a future tense or potential mode marker in many languages including English, Greek and many Balkan languages, so there's nothing strange here.

5. I have no idea whether these terms refer to femininity, the moon, etc. or whether the entire explanation might be folk etymology.  Someone more familiar with the cultures may be better at explaining these things than a hard core linguist.