Omaha and Lakota Words

Greer, Jill Greer-J at mssu.edu
Tue Aug 23 17:02:56 UTC 2011

I can't contribute much either, except the obvious biological association between the length of the lunar cycle and the length of the human female's menstrual cycle (28 days for each),  not unique to Siouan culture, of course.  Isn't there also a euphemism to refer to the menstrual period that refers to the moon, or am I thinking of another tribe here?  (Readers familiar with Ishi of  northern California might recall the taboo on moonlight touching a man's face during sleep, along with associations of women's reproductive powers as spiritually dangerous to others, and a connection to the moon.

Basso similarly notes Western Apache speakers as saying "My grandmother is visiting" if a woman had to inform her husband why she could not sleep with him at that time,  referencing Grandmother Moon.

Mary CrowDog talks about "moon/woman" power in her autobiographical book for Lakhota culture in the 20th century.   More info is probably out there.  Anyone care to break with our own cultural delicacy and broach the subject?

Jill

Jill D. Greer
Department of Social Science
MSSU