Omaha and Lakota Words

Scott Collins saponi360 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 07:16:09 UTC 2011

In relation to Umon'hon'ti, the Sacred Pole of the Omaha, Riddinton from 1993 states, "...Umon'hon'ti is a single person in whom these halves have joined." This statement is talking about the nature of the Sacred Pole, i.e ceremonial object, an the coming together of the Above World and the Middle World into one being/ceremonial object. Are there any other examples of this dual nature in Omaha words.

On another subject, I also wanted to ask if there are Omaha stories about Morning Star that are similar in any fashion to the Hochunk stories of Morning Star and Evening Star. Anyone on the list that may have information regarding this in Osage, Quawpa, Ponca and Kansa-Kaw also?

Scott P. Collins