English grammar innovation? New reflexive pronouns?

Anthony Grant Granta at edgehill.ac.uk
Mon Feb 14 11:06:47 UTC 2011

David:

You can certainly hear both in Britain in less deliberate speech, and
plural concord with 'team' is widespread too.  I think 'theirselves' is
commoner than 'themself' here but both are available.

Anthony

>>> ROOD DAVID S <David.Rood at Colorado.EDU> 13/02/2011 18:49 >>>

Dear Colleagues,

 	In my English grammar class a few days ago my undergraduates
claimed to have two reflexive pronouns that I have never heard before.
wonder how wide-spread this is, or what other comments you might have
about it.
 	The first is "themself", used for collective nouns.  The
example
was "The team really hurt themself by not cooperating more."  We're
already ambivalent about number agreement in collectives (observe:
"The
team is playing well this year -- I hope they keep it up" with
singular
verb agreement but plural for the anaphoric pronoun), so this seems
like a
reasonable development.
 	The second is "theirselves", which for these kids, at least,
contrasts with "themselves".  "The class taught theirselves the lesson"
is
said to mean that they got together in little groups or otherwise
informally mixed and helped each other learn.  This is different from
"The class taught themselves the lesson", in which each person taught
him or herself, without cooperation, and also different from "the
class
taught each other the lesson", in which there has to be more
deliberate
one-to-one interaction.  I have no idea how to label this one.
`	There are probably dialect differences across the Atlantic,
too,
since British speakers use plural verbs with collectives much more
readily
than we do ("the team are playing well this year" is very marginal for
me,
but easily accepted in England, I'm told).
 	Is there a new "University of Colorado undergraduate" dialect
of
English evolving, or have I just not been keeping up?  Seems like the
contrast collective/indivduated may be expanding its grammatical
effects.

Best,
 	David

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado
295 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0295
USA
rood at colorado.edu

Based on an award-winning 160-acre Campus near Liverpool, Edge Hill
University has over 125 years of history as an innovative, successful
and distinctive higher education provider.

• Shortlisted for Times Higher Education University of the Year 2007 and
2010
• Top in the North West for overall student satisfaction (Sunday Times
University Guide 2011)
• Second in England for graduate employment (HESA 2009, full
universities, full and part-time, first and foundation degrees)
• Top 20 position, and the highest ranked university in 'The Sunday
Times Best Places to Work in the Public Sector 2010'

This message is private and confidential. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your
system. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Edge Hill or associated
companies.  Edge Hill University may monitor email traffic data and also
the content of email for the purposes of security and business
communications during staff absence.